Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Bomb

Not much has changed since I updated, really.  We can't cut and run because of Dumas.  The other three don't know the situation.  Dumas, incidentally, seems like he's actually a pretty cool guy, apart from the fact that he's on the other side.  He really doesn't seem like a bad guy.  My experiences with Lyron and Magpie have given me reason to think about who exactly the "good guys" and "bad guys" are?  Clearly, the whole situation is more than just right and wrong, because I've seen that there are bad runners and good proxies.  The question now is how right it is to align yourself with something like the Slender Man or any of the other Fears.

I relieved Ryan from the watch late last night.  I have to say, I'm really impressed with his dedication.  When I told him I'd take over, he shook his head and told me he was all right.  I had to insist to get him to fall asleep.

It's kind of sad in some ways.  He always takes himself so seriously and tries to be so mature.  It's by necessity, I guess.  He's only fourteen, but he's looking out for Jenny (who's so scatterminded) and Bob (who's practically catatonic) as well as himself.  I have no doubt that he'd be better off without them, but at the same time, I can tell that it would kill him to leave them.

I guess he kind of reminds me of myself in a few ways.

Anyway, a bit after I took over on watch, Last showed up.

"I'm going to make this quick," he said as soon as he appeared.  "Kenny, listen.  You have to get out of here."

"We're trying," I told him.  "There's a proxy with us that we can't ditch, though."

"No, not you as in all of you.  You as in just you.  You need to get out of here, now."

"Why?"

He put his hand up to his face in exasperation.  "Have you not seen Diane's latest post?  Sky stated pretty clearly that this 'Silent Bob' guy is dangerous."

"I saw that she said he 'made the Slender Man lose.'  Isn't that a good thing?  Besides, you're the one who told me to pair up with these three in the first place."

"Okay, yes, that's a good thing.  I'm all for making the Slender Man lose.  And yes, okay, I hooked you up with these guys, but that's because I didn't know who exactly Silent Bob was.  I'm still not sure, but I think I have an idea of what he is, and...listen, Kenny.  He's dangerous."

"Yes, but he's on our side.  He's dangerous to them, not us."

"So if you're carrying around a bomb too use on someone else, does that mean that it's not dangerous to you?  Because that's what he is, Kenny.  He's a bomb waiting to go off, and if you're anywhere near him when whatever detonates him is set off...."

Bob stirred a bit and Last flinched.  "I should go," he said.  "I don't want to be around when he wakes up."

"Why?"

"I...don't think he would get along with me."

"Wait, what's that supposed to mean?  Are you--"

"It's complicated, Kenny.  I'm just going to need you to trust me.  Get out of here."

"I can't just leave them."

He sighed.  "No, of course not," he said.  "It wouldn't be that easy for you.  All right, then.  Stick with them.  Just know that you're playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun."

"I thought he was a bomb."

"He is," he snapped.  "The bullet is a bomb, okay?  If consistent metaphors are your biggest concern, then the bullet can be a bomb that's being fired out of a bigger bomb for all I care.  Priorities, Kenny.  Jesus.  Goodnight."

He walked off after that.  And now I'm left with a problem.

Do I stay with our potentially dangerous friend?  Or do I take off?  If I take off, do I take Jenny and Ryan with me?

I actually talked to Dumas about it.  He said that for now, it's probably best to wait.  He can't say when anything is going to happen (I don't even know if he knows), but he thinks that we have at least a bit of time.  That's at least a bit of time that I have to make an important decision like this.

6 comments:

  1. Well, this guy sounds like he's all sorts of fucked up. If he was able to steer up so many jimmies, then I would take the advice, bombs are never fun to play around.

    Though it would be nice to turn him into a weapon, he definitely sounds like a valuable asset. But he's a weapon with a 50/50 chance of going off against you. I don't really like 50/50 odds.

    Good luck.

    - Mr. Incognito.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion? I'm not going to say, 'cause I don't want to get you killed...

    Ugh. Nevermind. I think you should stick with him. But I think you should move from your current location. Mostly because Slendy is on the warpath at the moment. He's angry. You should get out of the Slender Man's way when he's angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, let us all remember the lessons of Fallout 3 and what happened to Megaton and the Children of Atom.

    Boom. They all died.

    Kenny, you need to take the children and go. Leave Dumas to study Bob on his own. His job isn't to keep tabs on you or the children, its to watch Bob. And he doesn't need you there to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man. Some of us disarmed that bomb.

      ... and then promptly blew it up in our second playthrough, but that's just a minor detail. >_>

      Delete
    2. The point is they were stupid for living next to a bomb.

      Grab the kids and go. Leave Dumas with bob. Survive and save the kids in the process.

      Delete