Thursday, October 25, 2012

Some more about Wayward

Traveling with Wayward is an interesting experience.  If nothing else, it's because we don't really talk much.  Apparently the Choir can twist people's words, and I don't like the idea of accidentally saying something terrible to her.  We talk some, but not much.  I smile at her some (since I'm pretty sure that she's not fond of physical contact and it'd be inappropriate anyway), but we're not about to start spilling our life stories.  She refuses to even give me her name, so I guess it's just Wayward.

I noticed there was something weird about the texture of her clothes, and it turns out that it's because they're flame-resistant.  Apparently the best way to deal with the Choir and its servants is with fire, so she's become...something of a firebug, I guess.  I guess I'm not entirely comfortable sitting next to her on the bus when I know her bag could explode at any time.  But hey, she's company, and company who I know won't kill me.

She's always wearing headphones, and she's apparently listening to just white noise because the Choir won't let her listen to music.  Something about it seemed a little familiar, so I asked her about Not-Redlight.  "It's possible it might be the Choir," she said.  "If he can stand the music, good for him."

Anyway, I guess it's okay to let you guys know where I am.  Lyron is currently on leave and staying in Ohio.  She's invited me to stay with her for a few days on the condition that she gets to interview me.  And she's...well, she's a proxy.  Or servant?  I'm not sure what the right term is, but she serves several different Fears.  I know, a really stupid move, willingly walking into what might be a trap.  That's why I'm so glad I have Wayward with me.  Lyron's claimed in e-mails that she's weak and I could easily take her (a fact that I'm well aware could be a flat-out lie), but even if I can't, Wayward has plenty of fiery weapons with her that could provide some great backup.

Like I said, a stupid move, but I think it's worth the risk.

Well, wish us luck.

5 comments:

  1. You could always communicate through a notepad or something like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory that might work, but it's a lot more difficult than you think. Have you ever wrote something down while talking to another person and you unintentionally wrote what the other person was saying? Well, that's what the Choir can do.

      Delete
  2. Actually... Where are we supposed to meet, Kenny?

    Either way, if the Choir are involved, I hope to god when I take you all supply shopping, they don't screw us over and get us into shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A proxy once told fire can protect you from any fear because destruction is a universal concept embodied by the flame.

    There was always a zinger with him though.

    "But fire can't protect you from me!"

    I guess he was kind of right. It didn't stop him from trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm... I'll have to congratulate you on making a shockingly stupid Good Move. Servants of Lyron's nature, provided they are generally "stable", are perhaps some of the safest individuals you could find yourself in the company of. They typically bear too many conflicting interests to pursue elimination roles. Though that is not to suggest they are harmless either...

    ReplyDelete